Thursday, March 12, 2009

Medical appointment update

Well! We had a big day for appointments and information. I will summarize it.

Dr C. prescribed chemotherapy next week. It will be Wednesday. The doses of each chemotherapy agent have been reduced. For the PET scan that we wanted to have Monday, it's pretty hard. If the trend continues I will go in the private sector even if it costs an arm and a leg.

Dr. Y told us his vision. It seems that I have 2 strikes against me even before you begin: metastasis to the liver, the extent of the disease (he explained that even if we do not see cancer anymore several areas were still affected). He told me about the statistics and as you know they do not interest me. He had to do it because if he accepts to operate it is a very difficult procedure. My stay at the hospital will be about a month (including a week in intensive care) and recovery should be about three months. So he wanted me to take an informed decision. I also believe that he tested my determination.

He now has to talk to a colleague before making his final decision (operate or not). In the meantime he will have me go through the pre-op testing. A series of tests before the end of March for a possible late April early May surgery. If the doctor agrees to operate, and I am confident he will accept. The three months of recovery will be very hard but not as much on me as on my wife and children. It will be in this period that I count on you a lot to offer support and assistance to Marie-Josée. I will have a single focus, get back full health with the fewest complications.

Finally, there is good news, my markers are now 5.4, very near the normal range.

Good weekend!

No comments: