Thursday, March 5, 2009

A week in Hell

Hello to you all.

The last week has been painful. In fact, it was the worst week since the beginning of my treatments. Normally after the chemo I sleep a few days and I feel like Sleeping Beauty who wakes up a little more each day. Except for last week when the day I usually feel normal, I began diarrhea. It was Friday 18:30. It lasted until Wednesday of the next week, or yesterday. Diarrhea as I've never had in my life. I followed the Imodium protocol I had received from the hospital pharmacist, but things did not change. This protocol requires taking 2 tablets of 2 mg at the onset of diarrhea followed by one tablet every 2 hours (2 tabs every 4 hours at night). I continue this until 12 hours has elapsed since the last diarrhea.

I did that Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Come Monday I called the hospital because the danger of this type of diarrhea is dehydration, and all of its consequences. I was therefore instructed to go to the hospital Monday to meet Dr L, to do a blood test and then receive a glucose solution intraveinously. I saw Dr. L. He looked at the results of my blood sample and I was not dehydrated so I didn't get the intraveinous solution. Still, I am really tired. My next chemo is scheduled for Wednesday but the doc believes that we should make the decision Wednesday morning.

In the meantime, he prescribed Sandostatin. A powerful drug, given by subcutaneous injection, to control peristalsis (bowel movement). It is imperative to calm the frenzy in my belly. As I have a generalized itching and I think it is the Imodium, he substituted it with Lomotil. For Sandostatin I receive the first dose at the hospital under observation in case of allergic reaction. Small administrative errors were made so I had to wait 3 hours before receiving my injection. That evening my wife stuck a needle in me once for Neupogen and 2 times for Sandostatin (the pharmacy had only vials of 100 mcg while I need 200 mcg). My stomach began to calm down. I could sleep a little better.

Sleep. It was not so easy with the Imodium protocol since I had to set my alarm clock for the night dose, at least Sandostatin provided a good night.
The next morning my upper lip looked like itwas injected with collagen. Josée thought I was having a stroke. I reassured her but my mouth really looked weird. I therefore decided not to receive the morning dose of Sandostatin should it be responsible for the swelling (or allergic reaction).

I turned to Lomotil, 2 tabs q4h (2 tablets every four hours). Wednesday morning, a day of planned chemotherapy and where I met Dr. L. at 8:30. Danielle (Josée's aunt) came to the house to babysit. Upon entering the office of the doc, he noticed that I did not look my best. I confirmed that it was slowly getting better but I am still very tired. We agree to postpone chemo to next Monday. I want to be in top shape a few days before falling down again with chemo. In discussing with Dr L., I admitted I was scared this week. He said "me too".

I was afraid of not being able to get out of this diarrhea or to have to eliminate Irinotecan from my arsenal too early (three doses). He reassured me. Several options are still available and the first is a reduction in the dose of irinotecan. He mentioned that as we have an aggressive attitude, so was the dose. For the next treatment everything will be adjusted. It will be adjusted not only according to the scale but also because I lost 7 pounds (about 3 kg) in the last week. I went from 170 to 163. When the hospital pharmacist called me to check my weight she had 175 pounds in her notes. I hope, I am sure that the difference will be noticeable when my next treatment comes.
Regarding the itching, we don't know the cause. Wednesday while returning from the hospital we purchased some Benadryl. As Danielle was at home she kindly agreed to stay a little longer so I could take Benadryl and sink into sleep. That's what happened from 10:00 to 14:00. A very deep sleep and rest. Today, Thursday, my bowel movements seem under control. The content of my stools are still very liquid, but it's a slow return to normal.

In any case my energy level now is quite reassuring. I have 2 more chemo before taking a break in preparation for the PET scan. I do not want to relive a week as the last.

No comments: