Thursday, September 4, 2008

Chemo... #3

We are Thursday morning. A day after the third chemo that I received Wednesday instead of Tuesday, back to school day. Marie-Josée and I wanted to be present for this special day since our last child, Elodie, started kindergarten. The view of our three children walking to school with their backpacks, the two big brothers explaining to their sister the school routine, the summer sun and a mix of emotions of pride and nostalgia. Nostalgia because the realization that we have no more baby hits you in the face on back to school day. I admit that this day also brought me an even greater resolution to fight for my survival. We may not have babies anymorebut, 5, 9 and 11 years do not make them adults yet. I have so much to share with my children that there is only one solution.
Back to chemo # 3 until now it is a far cry from # 2. I slept well and this morning, except for the fact that I did not attend the morning routine, I'm in pretty good shape (all things being relative). Unlike two weeks ago, I have enough energy to write on my blog and do one or two follow up on the business plan.
I could not explain why there are differences in the reaction of my body after each chemo but when I think about it there may be some elements or actions which have been different.
First, there is my diet. For two weeks I'm seriously working at integrating the research of Dr. Beliveau. So I drink three cups of Japanese green tea per day, I eat a meal with turmeric per day, I swallow quantities of garlic and / or onion like never accompanied by a series of selected vegetables (brussels sprouts, leeks, asparagus etc.).. All this on top of my Ensure and Boost drinks to ensure a good amount of protein, vitamins and minerals. I am still limited because I can not take too many fibers. My tumor on the right, that the surgeon estimates at 25 cm long (almost a foot), is largely blocking my ascending colon. It is important for me to avoid an obstruction, thus the limitations on residual fibers.
Also, there was a good boost to my morale when I attended the official opening of the season at the Judo club youngest class. The group that I had the responsibility last season. It was not much but it gave me an incredible feeling inside. Just putting my judogi on, participate in the opening protocol (greetings) and have the opportunity to address the kids to explain that I can not give all the courses this year was a beautiful time for me. My wife has even noticed that during the Mokso (meditation at the beginning) the sun entered the dojo and gave the illusion of enligthning and wrapping its divine light around me.

Finally, have these elements been a factor or not in my reaction to chemo # 3 we will never know but as they say, perception is reality so ...

Good day!

No comments: