Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chemo #4...some news

Hi everyone,
Today was a pivotal day. Before I could receive my chemo I had to meet an hematologist to assess the situation and adjust if necessary. Well, it is certain that three chemo treatments is nothing to write home about but ... You need to understand that this is 6 weeks since I started chemo, or 42 days. If you calculate since the operation I am approaching two months, 60 days that I know about my cancer and that my mind (mon mental) began the fight. During all this time the battle is all in my head in the sense that I do not see my opponent. In judo in randori or shiai (combat or competition) you can visually assess your impact on the other combatant. You can see if he is weakening, if he still has tricks up its sleeves to surprise you. You can touch and feel its strength or its weakness.
With cancer, for the past two months, I lead a blind fight (not sure about this expression). It's OK I wanted it like that as I explained in the blog on the book by Lance. It remains that at some point you become a little curious. You want to know if you're on the right track. In my case, there are two main ways to verify that.
Please note that what follows are statements based on my understanding and I can be way out in left field, but I'm very open-minded and if anyone wants to correct my assertions they are welcome.
The best way is the abdominal scan. My first one was made on July 21st. Doctors believe that doing another scan before the three months mark is not representative. So my next scan will be between the 10th and 20th of October. A small wait again.
The second way is the calculation of tumor markers. Several different markers are used according to the cancer cause. In my case they seem to follow the evolution of CA-125 markers and CEA. Ca-125 is Cancer Antigen 125 and CEA is Carcinoembryonic Antigen. The presence of these markers and their level is a complex area but if I symplify it, we can say that hematologists look for trends. Decrease, stability, increase: guess which are positive? Too easy would my daughter Elodie, a decrease and / or stability in the trend are positive elements. Before giving you my results, I want to be clear that positive results do not mean a cure, it simply indicates that we are on the right track.
My levels of CA-125 went from 65in June to 23.2 today. According to the doc the current level is in the normal rangen (even for people without cancer).
My level of CEA is stable, 12.9 in June to 13 today.
Conclusion the trend is positive.
I think I have presented these results sensibly and with a good control of my emotions. Let me now present them you as a hyper positive salesman. My level of CA-125 has decreased by 64% in two months. A significant change since this marker now shows no difference between me and a person without cancer. This is an excellent result in my assessment, don't you think? The CEA is a capricious marker which can go up and down between two cycles of chemotherapy. Doctors are wary of the interpretation that can be done with it, but there seems to be a consensus that the stable trend is definitely a good sign. Combine these results to two other elements. Scatologicaly speaking, my stools are larger in diameter than ever. Personal Interpretation and visualization, my tumors are regressing (to be confirmed in October).
The president of the association of colorectal cancer of Canada, Mr. Barry Stein, which I finally met in person yesterday evening at a meeting of a support group made the following comment: "You look great Martin, as a matter of fact you look damn good. "
Barry was diagnosed at age 40 with colon cancer. This was 14 years ago. In the last 6 years they have detected no signs of recurrence. He is my inspiration. It is totally committed to the fight against colorectal cancer and has seen many people suffering from cancer. having him tell me I look great was a total morale booster. Add to this the results this morning and you can believe that, despite some fatigue thanks to the chemo, my morale is # 1.
My wife said in the support group yesterday that I had a the moral of a bull (loosely translated), it made me smile and I really liked it. And don't forget that all your messages of encouragement and your comments on the type of relationship that each one of you has with me are very important in maintaining my morale. You're part of my team.
So this evening when reading this blog, smile, things are going well.

No comments: