Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It will be for...

We got a call from the hospital this morning at 8:15. Dr M who is the doctor contacted by G, the scheduling nurse, decided that treatment should be delayed to next week. Marie-Josee challenged the decision by calling my coordinating nurse to see if she could get in touch with Dr. L and try to reverse the decision. She explained that a week does not affect the outcome of treatment. The danger with giving chemo with such a low level of white blood cells is too great to proceed this week.

For sure this was a disappointment for a short time this morning. For me it was a sign of failure ... for 15 minutes. After that, well, I looked for the positives in this situation.

If my white blood cells are so affected by chemo, imagine cancer cells. Especially since they don't receive any help compare to my white blood cells(Neupogen the super hero to the rescue).

I can enjoy a full week with plenty of energy while I usually have only 4 - 5 days before resuming chemo and drop quite a bit. I will be able to complete a lot of work for the fledgling company, Vita Ethica Laboratories. I will also work to boost my immune system: exercise, nutrition, sleep.

STOP!
Wait a minute. The phone is ringing. It's my coordinating nurse. She made the effort to contact Dr. L and discuss the situation. She told him that we are insistant. Dr. L accepts a compromise, I must return to the hospital to redo a blood test and we will advise according to the results. I got dressed and we left for the hospital. I got there around 13:00. The advantage to do this in the afternoon is that there is nobody. The needle is in and in 30 seconds they have a new blood sample to analyze. Now the wait starts. G promises to call me on my cell phone as soon as the results come out.

In the meantime, I went for lunch and run some errands. I am at Ernest trying on some trousers (I went from 38 to 34 since July) when my cell phone rings.
-Yes hello!
-Mr Raymond it's G in hematology.
-Yes ...
-You're at 1.8.
-YES !!!!!
-You know it's very rare that ... in fact, you are an exception Mr Raymond.
-G this will not be the last time I will be an exception, believe me.
-Then would 10 o'clock tomorrow suit you.
-It 's perfect, thank you and see you tomorrow.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I will receive my chemo tomorrow with a day's delay, not a week.

No comments: